A decadant deep dark chocolate that is rich and moist with the flavour of banana and pecans for that added crunch.
DARK CHOCOLATE OLIVE OIL BANANA CAKE
- 180 g Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 43 g Unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-process)
- 100 g Dark brown raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/3 cup Extra-virgin olive oil (80ml)
- 2 pcs Large eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 g Ultra riper bananas (from 2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yoghurt (60g)
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Coarsely chopped dark choc (70%) (55g)
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans or walnuts (65g)
Preheat the oven to 175 deg C. Generously butter or grease with olive oil a 10-inch enameled or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, or a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sieved flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, eggs, mashed banana, yoghurt, and vanilla. Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and fold with a spatula until just combined.
Add the chocolate chips and pecans (if using), again mix until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared skillet or baking pan.
Bake until golden brown and a toothpick or knife inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean, about 30-35 mins. (Start checking at 25 mins mark for doneness. Let coo.l in skillet for about 20 to 30 mins, and serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
If using a loaf pan, the baking time should be closer to 55 - 65 mins due to the height of the loaf. Let it cool in the pan for about 10 - 15 mins, then run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert it onto a cooling rack.